Thinking this may be my last year

Discussion about IAC Basketball
admin
Site Admin

Thinking this may be my last year

Postby admin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:23 pm

Eleven basketball seasons later and I'm thinking this may be my last year running section4hoops.com. At least the IAC boys schedule pages and the instant games scores on Twitter. The text message scores sent to me are what populates the schedule pages. And not all IAC teams are sending me scores. Some have sent only a few scores this season. So it falls into the "I can't run it respectably if I'm not getting 100% participation." Sending scores was always voluntary, which may be why I feel it has failed. I actually thought I'd be getting swamped with many scores from the same game, everyone has a phone nowadays. But it didn't happen. Not blaming anyone at all, many people/schools/coaches have done great at sending me info, scores, records, schedules, etc.

Same with the records pages, every now and then I'll get new records, or I'll happen to see that someone sank 7 threes, but I know they are not all getting recorded/reported. Not even close. And it just seems odd to be running a records page that's not 100% complete across Section 4.

So I'm rethinking the entire site. I'd hate to do away with anything. But i feel it's just not working and it's just not sustainable at this rate of participation.

I'll keep you posted.
Steve

pointhoops

Re: Thinking this may be my last year

Postby pointhoops » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:53 pm

Steve,

I hope you reconsider your decision. I think I can speak for everyone who visits this site that nothing even comes close to the info provided here. IAC basketball would be lost without this website. Even know my sons are now done with their high school b-ball careers I still hop on line every game night to check the scores and see whats going on. I really mean it when I say that the service you have provided is absolutely outstanding and I have yet to run into another section specific site that is as well formatted and run.

To all the parents with kids still playing, fans, coaches, refs, and whoever please chime in and plead Steve to keep this site going. Trust me you won't know how good it was until it's gone.

Tx, Pointhoops

upperdeck

Postby upperdeck » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:12 pm

running these sites without any real help is a ton of work.

I have talked several times with the section iv people as to why they dont have a site that does much of what you try to do so people wouldnt have to to it by themselves. they dont think there is a need..

the fact that people cant even find standings or schedules or scores or stats without someone like you doing it is shocking to me

years ago much of this would have been in the paper but that time has long passed.

frankly the fact that we have all these schools with ADs getting paid and who report and meet with the section iv groups and this just doesnt get gone is just bad..

i know for a fact that you could get this done as a project at almost any college around here and be left with a just a small maintenance fee.

honestly coaches and ADs should be reporting these games to central location and it would take 5-10 min a week.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Thanks for the kind words you two.

I truly want to keep going, but that doesn't mean I can. The best part of the last 11 seasons is hearing how the kids will get on the bus after their game to head home and get on the section4hoops Twitter account to see how their rivals did. THAT is what it's all about. But if I'm not getting every score.... what is the point?

Why the section IV people think there is no need is baffling. If the stands at the IAC championships were empty then I could see their reasoning.

I'm still undecided.

Return to “Interscholastic Athletic Conference (IAC)”